Departmental Sustainable Development Strategy

Green Procurement

In 2015-16, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada’s (TSB) maintained its approach to greening its operations by ensuring green considerations were incorporated in its procurement and disposal practices and that key personnel were trained on green objectives.

Performance Measurement

Expected result
Environmentally responsible acquisition, use and disposal of goods and services.
Performance indicator Performance level achieved
Departmental approach to further the implementation of the Policy on Green Procurement in place as of April 1, 2014. The TSB continued to use the Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) procurement instruments as its primary procurement mechanism. As a result, it leveraged the environmental considerations incorporated into these Standing Offers and Supply Arrangements by PSPC.
Number and percentage of procurement and/or materiel management specialists who have completed the Canada School of Public Service Green Procurement course (C215) or equivalent, in the given fiscal year. 3=100 %
Number and percentage of managers and functional heads of procurement and materiel whose performance evaluation includes support and contribution toward green procurement, in the given fiscal year. 1=100%
Departmental green procurement target
PSPC green consolidated procurement instruments are used, where available.
Performance indicator Performance level achieved
All copy paper purchases are made through PSPC green consolidated procurement instruments, where available. 100 % of all TSB copy paper supplies were made through PSPC green consolidated procurement instruments.
All office supply purchases are made through PSPC consolidated procurement instruments, where available. 90 % of all TSB office supply purchases were made through PSPC consolidated procurement instruments. The remaining 10% were purchased through companies that have implemented green initiatives.
All furniture purchases are made through PSPC green consolidated procurement instruments, where available. 100% of TSB furniture purchases were made through PSPC green consolidated procurement instruments.
Departmental green procurement target
By March 31, 2017, 90% of toner cartridges are recycled at end of life.
Performance indicator Performance level achieved
Volume of toner cartridges recycled relative to the total volume of all toner cartridges purchased in the year in question. The TSB exceeded its target of 85% by March 31, 2016. 100% of TSB toner cartridges were recycled.
Departmental green procurement target
By March 31, 2017, 90% of IT hardware purchases will include criteria to reduce the environmental impact associated with the production, acquisition, use and/or disposal of the equipment.
Performance indicator Performance level achieved
Dollar value or volume of IT hardware purchases that meet the target objective relative to the total dollar value or volume of all purchases for IT hardware in the year in question. The TSB exceeded its target of 85% by March 31, 2016. The TSB achieved 90%.
Implementation strategy element or best practice Performance level achieved
Leverage common use procurement instruments where available and feasible. Achieved -TSB procurement staffs consistently identify and recommend the use of common use procurement instruments at every available opportunity and these are used whenever possible.
Train acquisition cardholders on green procurement. Achieved – In February 2016, the TSB provided in-house procurement training to cardholders who perform acquisition transactions as a regular part of their duties. 
Increase awareness of the Policy on Green Procurement among managers. Achieved - Green procurement practices are discussed with managers during consultation with the procurement team on contracting requirements.

Strategic Environmental Assessments

The TSB’s mandate is to advance transportation safety through the conduct of independent investigations into selected occurrences in the air, marine, rail and pipeline transportation modes. Given its mandate, the TSB does not have plans, programs or policies subject to strategic environmental assessments.

Date de modification :